Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dooly and the Snortsnoot


Did you ever have that childhood book that you loved, but somewhere along the way it disappeared so it only seemed to be a hazy memory of reality? Maybe it was just me, but the book I loved was Dooly and the Snortsnoot by Jack Kent. It is no longer in print and is quite hard to find. My big sister found it for me somewhere on the internet and sent it along to me as a surprise. It was like a bit of childhood became concrete and real in my adult life.





The artwork in reds, yellows and oranges beckons any child of the late 70's into peaceful bliss. Yippee! Now another generation can learn the importance of bravery as Dooly faces the snarling Snortsnoot. Browse your used bookshops and garage sales and pick up a copy if you see it. You won't be sorry.







Along the way, another book by Jack Kent dropped into my hands, Joey. So much fun! An overprotective mamma kangaroo will not let her baby leave the pouch. But when his friends come over and have band practice in her pouch ... she begins to see the positive aspects in letting her little one step out of the nest. It is amazing to see how a children's book has the capacity to bring a smile to anyone's face. So ... let me know what your favorite book was as a kid and share the memories!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! That is so nice of your sister to send you the book!

    I recently read Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and seeing the illustrations brought back a TON of memories. I also really liked Harold and the Magic (?) Purple Marker. I asked my mom awhile back what other books were my fave, and she had no idea. :-( I'm hoping to discover some more though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA, so cute, look at that huge house antenna in the kangaroo pouch! Do houses even have antennas like that anymore? I love vintage books like that. Must find!

    ReplyDelete